Shrimp Salad is a dieter’s dream. It is very low in calories and fat, but so delicious!
Add a hard boiled egg, lettuce and a tangy dressing and you have a wonderful lunch.
I like to keep some hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator for just such an occasion, and we usually have a bag of frozen raw shrimp in the freezer, which cooks in literally minutes.
If you use the optional ingredients, it only increases the calories by 16 calories…not enough to worry about.
- 8 medium shrimp, cooked and cooled
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 4 cups Romaine (or other lettuce), torn or chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 large mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cocktail sauce, (commercial, or make your own*)
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- TO COOK THE SHRIIMP: Peel the shrimp, if desired, or cook in their shells and peel after they have cooled – your preference, but some say they have more flavor cooked in their shell. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add the shrimp all at once, give them a stir and cook until they are pink and no longer translucent.
- Drain them and immediately plunge into ice water to cool quickly. Drain after they are cooled and either use right away or refrigerate until you are ready for them.
- FOR THE SALAD: Wash the lettuce, tomatoes, celery and mushrooms. Slice the mushroom. Cut the tomatoes into wedges, removing the hard stem end. Peel the hard-boiled eggs and cut them into wedges, as well.
- Arrange the lettuce on two plates. Sprinkle with the chopped celery and sliced mushrooms. In a small dish, blend the mayonnaise and cocktail sauce together. Pour half of it over each salad. Top each salad with 4 shrimp and arrange the wedges of tomato and hard-boiled egg around the edges.