Chili Chicken Chickpea Salad is one of our favorite main-dish salads. The chili powder and chipotle en adobo are balanced with cheddar cheese and yogurt, while the texture is a mixture of creamy-ness and crunchy celery and bell pepper.
Chili Chicken Chickpea Salad can be made ahead of time and, because it’s a meal in itself, it’s just right for a packed lunch, picnic or potluck. Or serve it on a bed of lettuce for a terrific lunch presentation. Either way, it’s delicious!
If you use leftover chicken, it’s quick, easy and great for a summer meal when it’s too hot to cook.
NOTE: This will keep well in the refrigerator for 2-3 days if you leave out the tomatoes.
- 2 cups chicken, cooked & chopped
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans (chickpeas), one can drained (or home-cooked)
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup yogurt, (or tzaziki sauce)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chipotle en adobo, or less to taste
- 1 tomato, chopped, optional
- lettuce leaves, optional
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayo, yogurt, lemon juice, chili powder, and chipotle. Stir to mix well.
- Add the chopped chicken, drained beans, cubed cheddar, celery, and bell pepper and stir to blend.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Add the tomatoes and lettuce just before serving.