This Chef Salad is versatile and you can invent your own version, but if you have a carniceria (Mexican meat market) near you, try their chuletas ahumadas (smoked pork chops). Otherwise, ham works well.
Chef Salad is a meal in itself, so it’s great for lunch, or a summer evening.
Try it next time it’s too hot to cook, and if you’d like to make your own Thousand Island Dressing, see my recipe – it’s yummy!
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce, torn (or other lettuce)
- 1 cucumber, cut up
- ¼ cup red onion, cut up (or sweet onion)
- 1 cup ham, cut up
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 hard cooked eggs, cut into wedges
- ½ cup Thousand Island dressing
- You can either mix all the ingredients together, or go to a little extra trouble and arrange the salad as follows:
- On two serving plates, lay a bed of torn lettuce.
- Top with cucumber and onion. Sprinkle with ham and cheese.
- Around the edge of the plate, arrange wedges of tomato and egg alternately.
- Serve with Thousand Island Dressing*